1/2kg Large shrimp..shelled
1 large Onions..sliced
1tsp shrimp paste
2 tbsp dark brown sugar or gula melaka
2 tbsp tamarind pulp / asam jawa
10~20 pcs dried long chillies
3 pips garlic
5 shallots or 1 med onion
- Blend the dried chillies with garlic and onions.
- Heat up about 2tbsp oil till steamy
- Put in the blended chilli mixture ~about 5~6 tbsp.
- Fried till it is fragrant..you can see the paste separating
- Add in shrimp paste...wait a little while
- Mix the tamarind pulp with some water about 1/2 glass and pour the liquid into the frying mixture
- Let it thickens..
- Add in the brown sugar
- Add the shrimp..let the liquid thickens..
- Add in the sliced onions..
- Add in salt.
- Taste as per your liking..add sugar,salt,tamarind more if desired to taste..
- After the liquid has sufficiently thickens and shrimp has cooked..remove from pan.
- Serve with steam rice or "Nasi Lemak".
**The key to this recipe is getting the balance between sweet, sour, spicy and salty...so taste it and let the liquid thickens to stick to the shrimp..you can also cooked it with the shrimp shells not removed..the taste will be better but eating it will be tougher..